Friday, June 30, 2023

Top 5 things to do in Seattle

Seattle has been on my bucket list for a long time, and I finally was able to go this summer on a solo trip. So here in my top five things of what you should do when you go to Seattle. 

1. Space Needle

The first thing you should do while in Seattle is go to the space needle. Now I have been atop a lot of towers. I've been to one world in New York City. I've also been to the top of the CNN Tower in Toronto.  I was a little hesitant about going on a space needle because I felt like once you've done one, you've done them all. But I was so wrong. The space needle is a must do when you go to Seattle. It is very different from the other towers that I mentioned previously. What I like about the space needle was they had a see-through elevator, just like the CNN Tower but it was less scary.  The guys were so nice and friendly, talking to you and telling you funny stories, that you didn't recognize that you were going up so high. Also, when you got up to the top of the space needle it was very calm because they do timed admissions, so it's not overcrowded.  They had several restaurants serving various food and the food was actually affordable.  I mean, it was just a pleasant atmosphere. When you look outside, you notice that you can actually go outside and walk on the outside of the space needle. Now I was freaking out about this because I have a severe fear of heights and I have an anxiety disorder. So, I was like, there is no way I'm going out there. 
But it looked so interesting that finally I found myself inching towards the door, going out the door, holding on to the door, and then finally being outside. Whew! Now I did have a little panic attack while I was standing outside but I did some breathing techniques to get through it. It was amazing. It probably would've looked better on a sunny day. It was very cloudy and rainy when I went. That also prevented me from walking around outside because I was just so nervous that I was going on to slip, and then I was going to fall off the space needle and die. πŸ˜‚ Of course that is not going to happen because they have protective barriers around. But when you have an anxiety disorder, you always think the worst. 😒 So I just stood there and looked out. Also, you can go down to the bottom floor, which not only is glass, but it also moves. I kept looking at the sign and thinking I am not going to do that but once I went outside, I felt more courageous. So I went downstairs. It wasn't that bad at all. I have motion sickness so the whole moving ground just didn't work for me. But it wasn't that bad.  I highly suggest that you go to the space needle. 




2. Chihuly Garden and Glass

The second thing that I suggest you go to is the Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum. It is amazing. Now, I can admit that initially I did not want to go to this because I thought it was going to be boring. However, I had a visitor city pass for Seattle and it was one of the things that you could do on the pass. So, I figured why not? I'm glad that I went. It was beautiful!!!!! It was astonishing!!!!! It was breathtaking!!!!!  I want to go back here when I have someone to take my pictures because baby, it was very nice. The pictures that I took were nice, but they weren't giving what it was supposed to have gave. The place was truly mesmerizing, and I could have just stared at the pieces forever. 







3. Museum of Pop Culture

Number three on the list is the Museum of Pop Culture. Now I will say when I first went to this museum, I was excited because it was the museum that I was really looking forward to. However, when I got in there, it was just a lot of pictures and stuff. I'm not the type of person that likes just pictures. I like interactive museums. However, the museum of pop did redeem itself because they had a section that was dedicated to horror films. I'm a scary person but when I tell you I loved that part. That part was very interactive and just very creative overall. I could've spent a long time just in the horror section, but I arrived late and had limited time in the museum. But I really liked this part. They had a hip hop room that consisted of just pictures (BORING!!!!!) but the music was a vibe. So, if you're a hip hop fan, check that room out. They had a Jimi Hendrix room because the creator of the museum, Paul Allen, was a huge Hendrix fan. Fun fact: Jimi Hendrix is actually from Seattle. He has a small park located by the Black History Museum and is buried in Renton which is not far.  The museum also had a technology part that was dedicated to video games. By the time I got to that part, I was super tired and just ready to go back to my hotel. I also knew that I was coming back to Seattle with my daughter and that she would probably really like this room. So, I didn't really spend a lot of time in the video game room. The museum is very big. I believe it is 3 floors. It is included in the ticket for the Seattle City pass. So why not go? Also, when I checked in to get my ticket, the guy gave me a comeback tomorrow for free tickets. So yeah, definitely go there. 





4. City Tour

Number 4 on my list of things that you should do is do a city tour. I was in Seattle for Juneteenth and wanted to support a black-owned business. Therefore, I booked my tour with Earl Alexander who is the owner of Puget Sounds Tour. He was amazing! So down to earth, funny and knowledgeable. I didn't want the tour to end, and he took you all over Seattle. With this tour you're able to go out to the floating house, you're able to go to Kerry Park where you see a viewpoint of the entire downtown Seattle, you're able to go to Fremont and see the notorious Fremont troll, and you're able to go out to Ballard and see the salmon if they are currently in season. They were not in season when I was there, and I was very pissed about it. πŸ˜‚ But I did see some seals and some type of special bird, so all was not lost. Earl's tour can be booked by going to Earl Alexander. You won't regret it. 



5. Pike Place Market 

The 5th place that I suggest that you go and I'm saving the best for last is .......Pike Place market. Now this was right up my alley!!! Initially I thought the market would be like the famous reading market from Pennsylvania. It was not that...at all!!! It was more! Half of the market is inside, and half of the market is outside. And when I told you it's just vendors and vendors and yumminess on top of yumminess! It can be a little overwhelming. I did it after my tour and I was a little tired and hungry. It was just too much for me but you can easily spend an entire day there.  There's so much to do down there. There's the original Starbucks that you can go through. The line is insane so be warned! There's Beechers who claims to have the best macaroni and cheese in the world. Once again the line is insane so I did not get to see if they were telling the truth.  There's the famous gum wall which was nasty and amazing at the same time. You can chew a piece of gum and put it on the infamous wall. I mean, there's just so much to do down there and let me not even talk about the food. The food was delicious. They had all kinds of like special concoctions that I've never seen like frozen apple cider .... what?!?!? Like I said you can easily spend your entire day down there. The aquarium is located behind it and it's included in the City Pass making Pike Place an ideal spot to spend the day. 
The original Starbucks

                


Have you ever been to Seattle? What would you add to the list? 

No comments:

Post a Comment