Thursday, June 29, 2023

Top MLK Sites

 


Today is the day that we honor Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and remember all of his good works. Martin Luther King Jr monuments. museums and historical sites can be found throughout the United States. Here are my top 5 sites that continue to honor his legacy:


  1. Lorraine Motel - Memphis, Tennessee

I hate to start this list off with the place where MLK was assassinated but it is one of my favorite sites. Being at the place where he took his last breath was more than emotional. I stood before the balcony, silently, just taking it all in and praying. My heart was heavy, and my eyes were full of tears. The museum that weaves throughout the motel is one of my favorite African American History Museums of all times. I could've spent all day there. The museum is about $18 for entrance and totally worth it. If you have never been, I highly suggest taking a trip to Memphis.

2. Burial Site - Atlanta, Georgia


Martin Luther King Jr and his wife Coretta are buried at MLK's National Historic Park in Atlanta, Georgia. Whenever I am in Georgia, I make it a point to visit this park so it's safe to say that I have been there several times. I never get tired of it. At the park you can find the gravesite, but Ebenezer Baptist Church also sits there. Ebenezer is the church where MLK was co-pastor from 1960 until his assassination. His father also served as the pastor at Ebenezer and currently the honorable Senator Warnock is the current pastor. The park also has a small museum with a pretty cool gift shop. I have purchased so many souvenirs from this place. 😬


3. Dexter Avenue - Montgomery, Alabama


Few people know this, but Martin Luther King's first church was actually in Montgomery, not Atlanta. Her served as the pastor at Dexter Avenue Baptist Church for 6 years. This church would serve as the backbone of the Montgomery Bus Boycott. The church is beautiful. They offer virtual tours for $15 (Virtual Tour | Dexterkingmemorialtours) . Prior to Covid they offered in person tours as well ... but I'm not sure if these have resumed. In addition to the church, you can also tour Coretta and Martin's parsonage (home). When I went, we took pictures but did not enter the premises because my mom did not want to pay the fee 😂


4. Childhood home, Atlanta,Georgia


Just a few minutes away from Martin Luther King's burial site, you will find his childhood home where MLK lived for 12 years. If you're lucky you will be able to enter on a ranger-led tour. Unfortunately, when I went, the tour was not available. However, my daughter and I enjoyed being on the premises and knowing that once up on a time ... a young Martin stood where we stood. The house is beautiful and is a part of the National MLK Park that I mentioned above.


5. MLK Monument - Washington DC


I literally saved the best for last. The MLK Monument honors his legacy beautifully. It covers 4 acres and includes a stone of hope, a granite statue of MLK and his notable words carved in stone. It is mesmerizing. The monument cost 120 million but is free for visitors. It is one of my favorite monuments in DC and something that I highly recommend for anyone wishing to see notable MLK tourist sites.


What are some of your favorite Martin Luther King Jr sites?

No comments:

Post a Comment