Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Exploring Mexico: Adventures, Experiences and Discoveries


Mexico is one of the most notorious destinations for travelers from the US. If you ask a novice traveler to name an international destination that they would like to visit, 9 times out of 10 they will probably say Mexico. This was the case with my niece. When given the opportunity to visit Germany, Canada or the Dominican Republic, she picked 
Mexico for her graduation celebration. Although I have been to Mexico before, I did not hesitate to book our tickets and go again because there is so much to do in Mexico. So here is my guide to exploring Mexico ... there's something for everyone so let's go ....

1. Experience Chicken Itza 

If you have ever learned about the Mayans in school, then you know that they are an interesting people. This is made evident by Chicken Itza which is a large Pre-Colombia built city. Yes, Chicken Itza is a city. The pyramid that most people associate with Chicken Itza is actually just one of the temples located within the ancient city.  The site is located about 2 to three hours away from Cancun. The entrance fee is $30 USD. You can find several tour companies offering tours to Chicken Itza. However, I must warn you, it is very touristy. I was kind of taken back by how touristy it was in comparison to other world wonders that I have visited. However, if you are a historian, a world wonder collector or someone who likes to experience new things, try out Chicken Itza. 





2. Seek thrills at an adventure park

Adventure is the word in Mexico, and they have several parks and tours dedicated to the word. Whether it's ziplining or riding an atv through the jungle, you're sure to find it in Playa Del Carmen which is about 45 minutes from Cancun. Most of the tours include ziplining and riding on an atv in addition to things like horseback riding and a water activity. Bring your courage with you. 😁. Also bring clothes that you don't mind getting dirty, a positive attitude and a camera. 



3. Walk down 5th Avenue

There are some streets that I just love .... the strip in Vegas, Bourbon Street in New Orleans .... and 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen. 5th Avenue is just a good time. It's full of restaurants, alcohol, clubs, and etc. The infamous Coco Bongo is on 5th Avenue in addition to several beach clubs.  Anything that you want can be found on 5th Ave.  Seriously! My niece wanted to pose with exotic animals and guess where we found them? 5th Avenue.  This is by far one of my favorite things to do in Mexico.  You can spend as little or as much time that you would like there because there's an endless number of things that you can do and see. 




4. Discover Tequila 

Tequila and Mexico go together like peanut butter and jelly and it's just as common as the beloved sandwich since the alcohol originated in Mexico.  Everywhere you go you can find a tequila tasting. Of course, they would like for you to buy the product, but I made it known beforehand that I was not interested. Therefore, I took my 3-4 shots of delicious flavored and unflavored tequila and went about my merry way. Before visiting Mexico, I was not a huge tequila fan and could not do a shot to save my life. πŸ˜„ Visiting the tequila museum in Mexico changed all of that.  Many of the tours for Chicken Itza, the cenotes and even the adventure tours consist of a tequila tasting. So, drink up!


5. Visit the Frida Kahlo Museum

Ok so I can admit that I am a little biased on this one. I am a huge Frida Kahlo fan. I was so surprised to see that she has a small museum in Playa Del Carmen because she is originally from Mexico City. However, upon traveling around I have found that Frida is a national icon. Souvenirs barring her image and likeness can be found all over Central America. The first time I went to Mexico, the museum was closed down due to Covid. I was excited to see the doors open the second time I visited. I highly recommend it to art lovers and Frida Kahlo enthusiasts. 




6. Smile at the 3d Museum of Wonders

Maybe it's a rainy day or maybe it's just too hot outside (it was 104 the last time I went to Mexico) and you need to find something to do inside. I recommend visiting the 3d Museum, The first time I went to Mexico, the Frida Kahlo Museum was closed and I was trying to find something to do because the rest of my party was at the beach.  So I went around the corner to the 3D Museum. I really did not know what to expect. I just wanted to get out of the heat πŸ˜„It was so amazing experience.  I received so many compliments about the pictures.  A worker walks around with you helping you to take the best pictures possible. I laughed and stared in awe at the 50 pictures in my phone. Check them out!





7. Shop at a mercado

Mercado is Spanish for market and while they can be found in any Spanish speaking country, I love the ones in Mexico. Mercado 28 is one of the biggest mercados with a variety of vendors, tequila shops and food spots. It's the perfect place to walk around and purchase unique souvenirs or grab an authentic bite to eat. You can easily spend a couple of hours there as the people are friendly and there is so much to see and do. Wear comfortable shoes 😊



8. Experience a Photoshoot 

I did my first professional photoshoot in Mexico. We traveled to Tulum to seek out Instagram-able locations. The shoot cost about $100. Recently I traveled back to Mexico and saw several photoshoots offered for Holbox and Playa del Carmen for a mere $40. A photoshoot is a great way to find the beautiful spots of a country and see things that you probably otherwise wouldn't have seen. 






9. Swim with animals

Remember when I told you that Mexico loves adventures. Well adventures don't stop with atvs and ziplining. There are a variety of animals that you can swim with in Mexico. The one that blew my mind away was the whale sharks. Listen I'm adventurous but I can admit that I'm not that adventurous πŸ˜„. If you're like me and whales are a bit too big, don't worry. They also have snorkeling with sea turtles in addition to swimming with dolphins. The prices range from $35 USD to $150 USD depending on the animal. If that is up your alley, then Mexico is the perfect place for you.


10. Explore cenotes 

A cenote is a natural pit or sinkhole that exposes underground water. Basically, it's a natural pool that you can swim in. There are several cenotes found all over Mexico and no two cenotes look the same in my opinion. Some of them are very small and localized... meaning that they are spots that the locals go to relax and swim in. While some of them are a little more advanced and more touristy. I can admit that in this instance I do like the touristy ones better because they are safer to get to and leave out from. However, they are all beautiful no matter which one you decide to visit. 



Out of all of the experiences, which ones are your favorite? Which ones have you done? Which ones would you like to do? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment