Thursday, June 29, 2023

5 things to do in San Diego, California

                                

I recently took a trip with my daughter to San Diego. Here are the top 5 things that you can do if you plan to visit.
1. Belmont Park:

Belmont Park is a family friendly amusement park that sits on the ocean. It is located in Mission Bay which is a quick Uber/Lyft ride from hotel circle or Old Town. Entry into the park is FREE. You can purchase tickets or a wrist band for the attractions. We opted for the wristband which was only $50. Considering the fact that my daughter rode the rollercoaster alone about 8 times, I'd say we got our money's worth. Some of the attractions include laser tag, ziplining, miniature golf and more. The park is also full of vendors, restaurants and etc. so there is something for everyone of all ages.


2. Old Town:


While Belmont Park was my daughter's favorite destination, Old Town was mine. I could've spent every day there. The culture, the shops, the FOOD! 🤤 Old Town is the oldest area in San Diego. It contains two national parks, both of whom are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The best meal that I had was devoured at a restaurant located in Old Town ...Casa de Reyes. Oh my. I promise someone's abuela was in the back cooking. The nachos were so amazing. The meat was so tender and seasoned. We also stopped for ice cream and the line was out the door and around the corner. It was WORTH it! It costs nothing to enter Old Town but bring a few dollars if you're a foodie like myself and would like to try their amazing cuisine.



3. Tijuana


I'm sure that you have heard the horror stories of Tijuana .. the cartels and the violence. When I told people I was taking my daughter to Tijuana, they immediately frowned. Well it ended up being her favorite day. We booked through Border Tours via Viator for $35 each and it was worth it. We had two guides, Alexander and Marisol and 26 guests on the tour. This was our first day using public transportation as well. I was a little nervous, but everything went smoothly. The trolley ride was $2.50 and lasted for about 30-40 minutes. The last stop of the trolley is actually the Tijuana border. After arriving to the border, we merely went through customs (approximately 10-15 minutes) and walked over into Mexico. Via Border Tours we rode public transportation, learned about Mexican customs, viewed historical markers, toured the Tijuana Museum, experienced a mariachi band, had an authentic Mexican candy tasting, ate lunch and shopped. That's a lot for $35. We would've had a tequila tasting as well but we ran out of time.




4. Whale Watching


My dream is to one day see a whale. I am deeply in love with these majestic creatures. My daughter and I went whale watching in Costa Rica and I briefly saw one. Upon planning to go to San Diego I knew that I wanted to go. San Diego has a high concentration of whales and dolphins due to its location. I literally stalked the whale watching forum for days and crossed both my fingers and toes hoping to see something. It didn't work. We saw a pod of special dolphins and that's it. The good news is that you can find whale watching specials on Groupon so it will not break the bank. We spent $40 for a party of 2. Since we did not see any whales, the company gave us coupons for 50% off our next trip and a free picture package of the dolphins. It wasn't all bad! 😁


5. Visit the San Diego Zoo



The San Diego zoo is in Balboa Park and hosts over 4000 animals. It is considered one of the best zoos in the world and is known for it's famous 27 foot bronze lion affectionately known as REX. The zoo is approximately 7 miles and 100 acres. To put it mildly, the place is huge! I have never visited a zoo that has not only one but two buses to take you around the zoo. Considering parts of the zoo consists of climbing up and down hills, we hopped on the transfer bus as much as we could. There is also an aerial tram which takes you across the zoo. We did this after my daughter begged and begged. I am afraid of heights but thought I could manage after my trip to Brazil. I thought wrong. I had a whole panic attack 40 feet above ground. However I survived. The history of the zoo is fascinating and can be learned about if you take a city tour/trolley tour. The entrance fee is a pricey $65 for adults and $55 for kids. I got around paying this by getting a city pass ($50 for kids and 75 for adults). Then I was able to do another attraction on another day in addition to the zoo for the same price as entering the zoo. 😎


Which attraction would you visit if you were in San Diego?

No comments:

Post a Comment